Cook Time: 600 minutes
Yield: 12 slices
- 80g chia seeds
- 70g flax seeds
- 3 scoops (37.5g) Pure Unflavoured Organic Whey Protein
- 1 small courgette (140g), sliced
- 1 small onion (50g), peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 3 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons of olive oil
- Per serving (2 slices):
- Kcals: 176
- Protein: 7.2g
- Fibre: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Sugars: 1.2g
- Fats: 11g
Superfood and gluten free aren’t usually words associated with tasty bread. Thanks to this recipe, you can now have sliced “bread” without any unwanted ingredients. Gluten has been replaced by goodness, yet these slices still make great sandwich bread.
The chia and flax seeds used are both good vegetarian sources of Omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3s have an impressive list of benefits from improving cognition to reducing inflammation. As an added bonus, each slice of this superfood bread has 4x the amount of fibre as the average supermarket sliced bread. Fibre is good news for gut health and even plays a part in detoxification. We used creamy avocado, tomato and parsley to make a tasty filling and add even more nutrients.
- This recipe can also made in a dehydrator using the same timings.
- Preheat the oven to 80 degrees C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Blend the flax and chia seeds in a blender until it reaches flour-like consistency.
- Put the flour into a bowl, mix in the protein and salt and set aside.
- Blend the onion, courgette, lemon juice, olive oil and water until smooth.
- Mix the puree into the flour and combine well.
- Using a spatula, decant the mixture onto your lined baking tray and smooth out as thinly and as evenly as possible.
- Put in the oven for 4 hours. After the 4 hours, slice the mixture using a pizza cutter and flip the slices over.
- Put it back in the oven for another 6 hours or until the desired consistency is reached. It should have the texture of sliced bread.