Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 8 buns
- 275g spelt flour
- 2 scoops (25g) Pure Unflavoured Organic Whey Protein
- 3 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp fast action yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 65g chopped apricots*
- 55g currants
- 150ml unsweetened almond milk
- 25g melted coconut oil
- 1 egg
For the crosses:
- 40g spelt flour
- 20g almond milk
- 1 egg cup of boiled water
- 1 pinch mixed spice
- 1 tsp coconut palm sugar
- Per serving (1 hot cross bun):
- Kcals: 223
- Protein: 8.4g
- Fibre: 3.5g
- Carbohydrates: 36.5g
- Sugars: 10.2g
- Fats: 5.7g
It is important to note that although most of our recipes are gluten free; this particular recipe contains spelt flour. Although this flour is incredibly rich in nutrients and minerals – it is not gluten free. However, many people with an intolerance are absolutely fine with spelt as it’s picked at a very young grain and so doesn’t have much time to ferment. Please do bear in mind that it is not certified gluten-free.
- *If you don’t like the sound of apricots, why not try this recipe with another dried fruit such as cranberries?
- *Once the buns are out of the oven you can brush them again with the sugared water to make them shiny.
- Combine the flour, protein, yeast, salt and mixed spice in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with the melted coconut oil and almond milk.
- Slowly add the egg mixture into the flour.
- Fold in the apricots and currants until it becomes a dough.
- Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl and leave to rest in a warm place for 1 hour until it has risen.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes and then cut into 8 equal balls.
- Place on a lined baking tray and leave to rise in a warm place for a further 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (fan).
- To make the white crosses, mix the almond milk and remaining spelt flour together to form a dough. Roll these into long sausages.
- Make up the sugared water and once the buns have risen for 20 minutes brush a little over the top of each and place the sausages in a cross to form that iconic hot cross bun pattern!
- Place the buns in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until golden*