Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 doughnuts
- 235g cooked Kidney beans (canned or tetra pack)
- 100ml almond milk (unsweetened)
- 40g coconut sugar
- 40g cacao powder
- 40g buckwheat flour (1 scoop, if using whey protein scoop as a measure)
- 2 scoops (25g) Pure Unflavoured Organic Whey Protein
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Coconut oil for baking tray
For the Cashew Glaze:
- 200ml melted coconut oil
- 200g cashew butter
- 1 tbsp Organic Whey Protein Powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (add to taste)
- Dark chocolate for sprinkling
- Per serving (1 doughnut):
- Kcals: 628
- Protein: 17.13g
- Fibre: 8.8g
- Carbohydrates: 43.8g
- Sugars: 13g
- Fats: 48g
I think we all get those moments in life when all you can think about is biting a juicy, fresh, sweet doughnut... I mean a protein doughnut, made out of organic, gluten-free, egg-free, refined ingredient-free stuff. I mean good-for-you doughnut moments.. yes, we can definitely enjoy those!
These doughnuts are made with Kidney beans. Seriously! Kidney beans ramp up the nutritional value of these protein doughnuts by not only providing important minerals- such as molybdenum, iron, copper, folate, manganese - they are also brilliant source of fibre, plant compounds and bonus protein! It also help to hold things together, so we can leave out the eggs.
I like to go heavy on my doughnut glaze, but you can make a half of the glaze recipe if you prefer a thinner layer.
- Heat the oven to 180C degrees.
- Blend all doughnut ingredients together until smooth.
- Grease the doughnut baking tray (if using silicone mould coconut oil is not necessary) and fill each doughnut hole with the dough.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Take out the doughnuts and leave to cool down.
- Meanwhile, make the cashew glaze- mix all ingredients together until smooth.
- To make the best glaze, I freeze my cooked doughnuts and then dip them in the runny glaze- coconut oil will set very fast. But you can also do the glaze on cooled doughnuts, it will just take longer for the glaze to set.
- Sprinkle grated dark chocolate over your protein doughnuts while the glaze is still wet.
- Serve and enjoy the goodness!