Cook Time: 17 minutes
Yield: 12 bars
- 150g Almonds
- 130g Pumpkin Seeds
- 130g Sunflower Seeds
- 150g Golden Raisins
- 90g Desiccated Coconut
- 40g Flax Seeds
- 35g Sesame Seeds
- 9 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Per serving (1 bar):
- Kcals: 349
- Protein: 8.9g
- Fibre: 7.2g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Sugars: 10g
- Fats: 22g
This week we're leaving the protein powder on the shelf and instead the we've gone nut and seed crazy in true paleo style. These are dead easy to make, it's just a matter of giving the almonds a rough blend and then combining everything in a bowl before giving them 15-20 minutes in the oven. Easy to make, tasty and naturally packed full of energy and protein. This recipe is heavily based on a recipe created by Sarah at the Paleo Bites Blog, so Kudos to Sarah for this creation.
- Adding a teaspoon of cinnamon to complement the orange peel is a really good idea
- You might want to grease both sides of the greaseproof paper to make sure the bars don't get completely stuck.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C
- Grease a baking tray, ideally with a depth of at least 1.5cm. Line with grease proof paper.
- Chop the almonds by hand or give a very brief whizz in a blender, trying to avoid completely obliterating them if possible.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together
- Now stir in the honey and coconut oil until evenly mixed
- Pour the mixture onto the baking tray, pressing down as hard as you can to get it nice and compact. A spatula seems to work well for this task.
- Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, leave to cool for half an hour to 45 minutes. Then place in the fridge for a further 20 minutes until they're fully hardened, before slicing into 12 bars.
- You can keep this for up to a week in an airtight container. Believe me, they will be devoured long before the week is up!