We all need protein to grow and maintain health muscles and bones, but not everyone is able to get enough quality protein from diet alone. Here are a few key benefits of using whey protein to fill the protein gaps in your diet:
- Whey protein is one a “complete” proteins, which means it contains all 9 of the essential amino acids, in other words those that your body can’t produce on its own. It also contains all the Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) – which form the structure of new muscle tissue.
- Whey protein is readily absorbed by the muscles and also happens to be one of the most easily digested protein sources.
- A good quality whey protein has a neutral creamy taste, with none of the bitterness or earthy flavour that many other protein powders have. Having an enjoyable flavour is quite important if you’re going to be using it on a regular basis.
Why organic whey?
The reasons to go organic are many, but here are a few we think are worth considering:
- Higher welfare standards. The cows graze outdoors for most of the year and when housed indoors during the winter they have plenty of room to move about, clean dry bedding, natural light and hay to feed on.
- You avoid consuming any artificial pesticides, herbicides or genetically modified organisms.
- Some protein powders contain heavy metals higher than maximum recommended safety levels, so we had our organic whey protein tested and no heavy metals were detected. This could be because no artificial pesticides are used, many of which are known to have a high heavy metal content.
- All the other benefits of organic, including an increase in wildlife, less pollution of waterways, healthier soil and happier bees.
We started The Organic Protein Company out of a passion for higher welfare farming and that will always be our main motivation and indeed that’s why we continue to give 25p to Compassion in World Farming for every pack, with £10,000 donated so far!